eye operation using stem cells

This is a general discussion forum for stem cell transplantation patients & doctors

eye operation using stem cells

Postby dianchetty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Hello everyone!! Wanted to know if anyone knows of successful eye ops using stem cells. My daughter is visually impaired to to premature birth she has wat is known as ROP I have heard from a clinic in germany known as elisees clinic who say this operation is possible and that she may gain some of her sight. Please help me I am from South Africa thanks a lot

Re: eye operation using stem cells

Postby nnovitzky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Because of the heterogeneity of ROP well designed and specific clinical trials must show effectiveness of such therapy. So far there are no such trials with so called "stem cells". Retinal vessel damage needs to be corrected (laser, cryotherapy, anti VEGF antibodies, etc) before these stem cells (if they are really stem cells) are able to repair a tissue such as the retina.

I would be extremely careful in going to such clinics offering treatment without regulatory approval. You do not know what will be injected, but you are likely to pay a substantial amount for this "treatment". You may wish to discuss this topic with experts at http://focusrop.com/rop.

Regards, Nick

Return to Patients discussion forum